9.08.2008

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 3.42 (Lunch Time Edition)

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 3.42

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Like a composer sitting down to write a symphony, I am here typing this newsletter. Whoa, did I just compare myself to a symphony composer? This is crazy that I even think this letter has any merit. After meeting with my wife in our usual fireside chats that we have, I asked her if more people than just her would like to hear the conversations I sometimes have on the train with people. She said that would be a good idea but that I should run the stories by her first. This way you all only get the cream of the crop. I love using old sayings. Old sayings make me as happy as a claim. Also this isn't something that will appear every week, but I promise that when there is a good story you will all be included. So I call this story, 'The Man that Smelt like Pooh but Knew Too Much About Weather.' It's a working title. I got on the train at Galivan Plaza, like usual. I obtained a seat, which isn't usual. Also the aroma in the train was pretty nice, also not usual. So really it was a pretty unusual trip on the train until…the 600 east stop. That is when the smell started. I thought that it could be me, because I am sometimes smelly when I do a lot of walking before getting on the train but this smelt more like the bad smell of a person who said, "Deodorant? I don't need that. A shower? That sounds like a lot of work." So hence the part of the title of this story that is 'That Smelt like Pooh.' So this man sat down next to me and I quickly learned that the smell wasn't me, which was a relief. However, it wasn't a relief that I had to smell him until I got off the train at the Stadium. The first thing I heard him say was, "Oh, the weather is perfect today." Not wanting to talk to him I didn't do anything. But thinking that it would be fun to hear what he has to say, I responded, "Yes, it is." He then stated, "It is not too cold or too hot it is just right." I couldn't have agreed more so I said, "I hear that." I did hear it. Then he said, "Be careful though, because this winter is going to start sooner and last longer." To which I responded, "Stupid global warming." He quickly interjected and said, "It's not global warming. It is the start of a new ice age." From this point on the only thing I did was tried not to laugh. He made some points like; the snow pack took longer to melt this year, so more light was reflected back into space keeping the earth cooler longer. Also he said the last time this happened; the mini-ice age that is, was back in 1315. I don't know if I completely agree with what he said, I just thought how great it would be if what he said was true, because then there would be less stinky people in the world with all of cold weather.

Trivia Time: Last week a lot of you knew the answer to the riddle was a river. This week's question is going to be even more challenging. For some I go fast, for others I'm slow. To most people, I'm an obsession relying on me is a well-practiced lesson. What am I?

Beat the Odds Tip: In life if you are trying so hard that you can't stop and smell the roses then you are trying too hard.

Have a good week I know I will.

Eric Jones

http://www.oprahismymom.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

The Kollman's said...

Eric,

You are hilarious! Jenny is lucky to have someone who will always make her laugh!

Jess