11.03.2008

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 3.50 (Kids are little humans)

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 3.50

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

 

            More conversations with kids.  So this past week I was at the In-laws to enjoy a delicious B-day meal for my wife.  She is a ripe 25 years young now.  She is still pretty spire for a 25 year old too.  She can run and jump and kick.  While there I had to an opportunity to talk with the nieces Whitney (7) and Corinne (6) about science.  As I tried to cool off my body I found myself next to the window and the little girls table.  I told them that I was letting the wind cool me down.  I thought that this would be a good time to talk science with them and little kids say that dandiest things.  I asked, "Where does wind come from?"  Whitney (W) responded with a weird look on her face Corinne (C) giggled.  They both said, "I don't know." Then W said, "The air is the wind."  Then I asked, "Ok how does it blow?  Is there a big fan somewhere that blows the air?"  C says, "No."  So I asked, "Are there a lot of people somewhere blowing really hard?"  W, "No, if there was then there would be spit everywhere."  I thought okay I need them to start thinking so I said, "Where does it come from then?  No fan, no blowing."  Then a light went on in C's head and she said, "The water."  Ok I thought the oceans and such and such could play a part in the wind.  Then W went with it and said, "Yeah the water evaporates into the sky and the wind forms."  To which I said, "Close.  Then I asked what about the Sun?"  They didn't think that the sun had anything to do with the wind.  So I then clarified the whole wind mystery by saying this to them, "Wind is caused because the sun heats the planet differently, and over vast areas. As a place warms up, the air expands, causing a pressure change. Wind is simple high-pressure air moving towards a low-pressure region to balance things out."

                                   

Trivia Time:  Nobody knew why Election Day is the first Tuesday of November.  Look it up people it is one of the fun traditions from the old days that has carried over because if it ain't broke then don't fix it.  This week's question is what is the largest victory for any presidential candidate in the history of America?

 

Beat the Odds Tip:  If you are stuck in the voting box and you don't know who to vote for then just write my name in.  That means I will already have two votes!

                       

Since we are now in the month of Thanksgiving I also thought that a good question for W and C would be about Thanksgiving.  I asked, "What is the deal with Thanksgiving?"  W said, this is classic hopefully it translates well in text, "Thanksgiving is when we go to somebodies house and the host makes us food and they are giving."  I asked, "What about the thanks part?"  She said, "We give thanks to that person."  I was satisfied but I still asked, "When was the first Thanksgiving?"  C said, "With the Indians and Pioneers."  I said, "Not the Pioneers but the Pil…"  They both said, "Pilgrims!"  Then the heater turned on so I had to move the house was like 100 degrees.  It was crazy hot.

 

Have a good week I know I will now keep your fingers crossed.

Eric Jones

www.oprahismymom.blogspot.com

 

 

 

No comments: