12.17.2008

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 4.04

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 4.04

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Jenny and I returned from a wonderful place only to find that here is not so wonderful.  We went from lounging in sand to running with our tales between our legs in snow.  I was wearing a long sleeve T-shirt, shorts and boating shoes when we landed in Utah last night.  Boy was that a mistake.  I thought surely Vardell would be able to maneuver his vehicle into the airport to pick us up so we didn't have to brave the midnight air.  The trip we took was great we pretty much did nothing.  I guess though when you go to an island that is the same size as three downtown blocks there really isn't much to do. Both Jenny and I found that sitting and staring into the eyes of the Caribbean Sea to be very relaxing.  Now if all of you remember last week's advice, "Just because you can doesn't mean you should," my only wish was that people down there would have taken that advice as well.  I have seen enough weird body types to last until the next time I go to a tropical haven.  Some women and men need to know that with swimming attire more is better.  Jenny and I agreed that the worst swimsuit award goes to an Eastern European woman that was pushing 250 and wearing a flesh tone swimsuit.  Don't get me wrong, I don't mind her wearing a swimsuit but maybe a little modesty would make hers and my experience that much better as we drink the thick Caribbean air.  What more can be said about our trip to Caye Caulker (Key Caulker)? I guess it was once again discovered that I cannot apply my own sunscreen evenly. (Pictures pending check Jenny's blog in a few days.)  An island that prohibits the wide spread use of cars is awesome.  We should go back to bikes on a small scale.  It truly is great to be able to get out and see other parts of this beautiful world that God has created for us.  That is why Jenny and I went on our snorkeling trip on Sunday so we could enjoy first God's creation and second drunk people.  Often times I wonder why God created some of the things that did.  Jerry our tour guide summed that up for me better than I ever could.  He took us to wear the corral grows at 1 inch per year, which a lot more than other corrals.  We asked him why that was to which he responded simply, "Everything that lives out there works together in perfect harmony and therefore you get the best of everything, the fish thrive, the algae thrives and so does the corral."  I don't think he understood how profound that statement is.  As humans we could achieve so much more if we could learn to live in perfect harmony with our surroundings.  I don't think that will ever happen in this life.  Belize, great country that has been a little less fortunate than America because the founding Government was established on selfish principles.  Consider yourselves truly lucky to live in a country that was started off on the right foot.  However it is up to us the citizens of that country to keep those correct steps going.  Places to avoid in Caye Caulker:  Latinos, Sobre Las Olas, and San Pedro (not really in Caye Caulker but still don't go there.)  Places to go: Ragamuffin,  Amor y CafĂ©, Bamboo Grill, Sand Box (Most bang for your buck).

Trivia Time:  You sang 20 to yourself while reading last week's letter then you were correct sir.  This week's question is in Disney's classic hit Blank Check what is the best toy purchased by Preston?

Beat the Odds Tip: If you find yourself in Daybreak don't speed.  The Sneaky Cops on patrol. AKA Police Academy III Citizens on Patrol.

One last note, this week is Neil Diamond.  If you didn't get your tickets he will be back but don't let it happen again.

            Have a good week I know I will.  

Eric Jones

The Blog www.oprahismymom.blogspot.com

 

No comments: