5.26.2009

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 4.24 (Let the games begin)

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 4.24
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then open it and remove all doubt
-Mark Twain
So often I have the opportunity to sit and reflect on what has come of my life. I think reflecting is one of the most important things to do in the world. You can look back on what you have done and do more or less depending on what happened in the past. It is like the past is there to make sure we don’t screw up the future. However, so often we don’t even take into consideration the past when we are making decisions that affect the future. I learned this lesson the hard way this past Memorial Day. What better day to think about the past then on M.D.? As I accompanied my niece and nephews to the park we played on all of the playground toys that were there, slides, swings and monkey bars. There was also this spring thing and if anybody knows the point of it please let me know so the next time I go to the park I can enjoy all of the toys that are there. Anywho, while at the Jenny’s dad challenged Whitney (8) to a 4-square game. I had to get on this classic game. I knew going into that kids that have to win always make slight variations to the rules so they ensure victory. I am pretty sure that I was one of those kids. After Whitney explained the game to us we were ready to play. The ball went whipping out A square (Whitney) into B square (Vardell) then onto C, where I was waiting. I returned the ball back to B square in hopes to move ahead in the ranks. Vardell quickly sent the ball to A square where Whitney I think was so enthralled in the game she didn’t see the ball zip right past her. She turned and retrieved the ball, upon her return she went back to A square, we called foul but there was no recess aide to assist in the call so we explained to her that the ball landed in her square then went out. She was sure that either the ball didn’t land in her square or that there was some other loop by which she would retain her A square crown. If only I could have shown her this rule from the official 4-square website there would have been no problems.
The "Showdown!"
If there is a dispute that cannot be settled by the officials then the only proper way to work out the disagreement is through the Showdown. The Showdown is mini-game of two square with no custom rules and the loser is knocked out of the game. In the event of a Showdown, there are no points or errors logged for the players, the winner of the showdown is simply allowed to stay in the game.


Trivia Time: You need at least two butterflies to have a butterfly garden. How many times do you have to jump before you can jump over the moon?

Beat the Odds Tip: If you ever find yourself trapped in an elevator to automatically turn cannibalism wait a little while to see if you get rescued.

Just one last thing. Nobody every told me that babies were such babies. They cry all the time. Oh wait as I typed it I realized why nobody told me. If people told people about it then that would be the end of the human race as we know it.

Have a good week I know I will
Eric Jones
www.oprahismymom.blogspot.com

No comments: