8.02.2010

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 5.27 (too hot to sleep)

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 5.27
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then open it and remove all doubt
-Mark Twain

Well I missed a week because I was out driving on every street in the small towns of Holden, Meadows, Fillmore, Kanosh, Scipio and some other towns I don't remember the names of. Once you have seen one you have seen them all. To recap just over a week ago the Jones Family Reunion took place with a Western Theme. I told you all that I was dared, by my wife, to buy cowboy boots and wear them all weekend. I took that dare to the bank. Locating cowboy boots was a little bit trickery than I thought it would be. But alas I found a pair, along with some new golf shoes. The dare started out great I wore the boots all day Friday and Saturday morning. Then we went golfing I put on the new golf shoes only to find out that they gave me a blister. So I couldn't wear any shoes the rest of the weekend. I had to wear my flip flops. I don't know if anybody has tried to line dance in flip flops but it is not easy (Line dancing was the activity after the big family dinner). I will have to say this; our little family unit was the best line dancers of all gout, blisters and general lack of coordination considered. It was a fun year and when it came time to select next year's theme I suggested it just be a read-a-thon where we all just sit around (not by anybody) and read books while eating snacks. It was a wonderful time and I hope that there are more to come. The important thing is nobody got hurt this year, while at the cabin.

Trivia Time: What was a bigger success, flying saucers or friendship bracelets?

So as I mentioned I was in Central Utah this past week living the dream. Not my dream but some bodies dream. We were out indexing farm land use for the Sevier River basin. It was delightful. I was told by somebody close to me if you try and put a positive spin on stuff it usually will be positive. I am struggling to turn this experience to the positive side of the meter. Driving in a car up down farm roads for 13 hours a day is far from positive in my book. There were a couple of positive notes however from the trip. First I heard a song that I have never heard before on a radio station that I never knew existed. I recommend that if you are ever in central Utah to tune your radio to either 99.7 or 93.7 FM. They are both worth your time. The song I heard I was called, "Mockin' Bird Hill" very good and very silly. I wish there was somebody making silly music like this today. Shoot I would buy it. Oh wait if I had to say and I do I think that She and Him make the music like this. The other super positive note was when we stopped to talk to a farmer about some of the land use going on in his area. After we discovered that he didn't really know anything other than what was on his property he said something that will stick with me for a long time. I also want you city folk to hear what he had to say. I imagine that what he said would make a good song. Another note about what he said, we were talking about how life is not easy. Ok with that in mind he said to us he says, "Things are tough and they are going to get tougher. City folk gonna come to us [farmers] looking for answers but we ain't got 'em." I have already stenciled those words on the ceiling above my bed.


Have a good week I know I will
Eric Jones

No comments: