7.18.2011

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 6.20 (Slogans make the day go faster)

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 6.20
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then open it and remove all doubt
-Mark Twain

As I sit in my hotel room eating a bowl of noodles with some makeshift chopsticks (A straw from my drink folded in half, always remember to pack a spoon or buy one or something. Don't tell Brenda because she will just tell me about all of the carcinogens I am ingesting.) I can't help but think about the motto of the city that I am in. The motto is "Base Camp to Adventure", I never knew that from Blanding I could do pretty much anything I want to. Well at least adventurous stuff. Well maybe it's not a motto but rather a slogan. The slogan of Murray is "Best Little City in the World." I know that there is some debate about that slogan.  I guess a slogan is used to make your product look more appealing. Here are some other enjoyable city/state slogans: (In no particular order, and yes I am watching AFV right now. Don't judge me.) Tremonton, "Industry!" Gunnison, "Progress with Purposes," (Please note that there is a state prison in Gunnison). Tooele, "Dedicated to Quality of Living, Utah's Brightest Star." Helper, "A town of many cultures," Yeah if one is many. Payson, "Come for a day…Stay for a lifetime," due to road construction. Toquerville, "It's the people." I think that is the slogan and the go to answer when the mayor is asked about something pertaining to the city. For example, "So how do you explain the smell?" Answer, "It's the people!" Fairview, "Gateway to Skyline Drive." The last time I went to Skyline I took I-215. Eagle Mountain, "City of the Future, Values of the past." No comment. Green River, "Utah's desert treasure," I think is the slogan of Ray's Tavern and the city just jumped on board. Sterling, "The heart of Utah," where is Sterling again? I went to school with a Sterling and I don't know where he is either. Panguitch, "Where the Unique is Common." So in other words nobody is special Dash from the Incredibles said that. American Fork, "The hub of North Utah County," yikes, queue Happy Gilmore quote, "Mr, Mr, get me out of here." Here are several slogans state slogans from Utah, "This is still the right place," "Greatest snow on Earth," Life elevated," and the one I wish people would quote after saying the news, "Utah! Where ideas connect." In my googling I did find one state slogan that I am going to borrow and use as my own slogan, but not for monetary purposes. The slogan belongs to Alaska, "Beyond your dreams. Within your reach!" Just imagine one day the news paper has me on the cover the headline reads, "Eric Jones Beyond your dreams. Within your reach!" The article would go on to talk about how, after annoying people for several decades Eric finally got Burt Reynolds to read his blog.
Trivia Time: What is your city's slogan?
Have a good week I know I will
Eric Jones


--
This message was approved by Eric Jones

No comments: