1.23.2012

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 6.40 (Being childlike will only bring chaos)

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 6.40

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

 

My whole life I have been told that I should be "childlike" but having children has helped me realize that if everybody acted like a toddler then this world would be crazy. On Saturday I took Gigi to the Utes' basketball game which is something I have been planning on doing for a while because this is the last year of free entrance for Gigi. Let's be honest though Gigi is so small that she will be five and still be able to get into sporting events for free. If you ask me the sentence I just typed would fit into the category of "childlike." Kids are always trying to get away with everything from shoplifting to public lewdness. So back to the game. Oh also Gigi always wants to ride the train so we hopped on TRAX and took the train all the way to the Huntsman Center. A trip that lasts roughly 45 minutes. I thought that she would have fallen asleep on the way but the combination of sights, sounds and smells (the three S's of TRAX that I have discussed in the past) ensured that Gigi was at full attention for the entire trip. We arrived at the game and the snow was coming down like frozen cats and dogs. Gigi informed me; with one of her "childlike" attributes that it wasn't snowing it was snowflakes. Misinformation is another "childlike" attribute that most adults posses. If you talk to anybody long enough they are going to say something that is either a lie or is the truth skewed a little to make themselves appear cooler. We all do it. Let's see we enjoyed the game dancing to the fight song which was played a lot since the Utes won by 20 points. Finally some good news for the Utes' basketball team. We left a little early because I could see one of Gigi's "childlike" attributes about show, the temper tantrum. The sprint from the arena to the train squashed the tantrum for a few stops. Around the courthouse she decided that she no longer needed to sit by her dad and started to explore the train. Every time I tried to get her to sit down she would scream. Since we were 20 minutes from our destination I decided I better let her walk around for the sake of the other passengers. As we approached the 3300 South stop she was crazy. If she knew them she would have been screaming profanities at everything and everyone especially at me. This is another one of those delightful "childlike" attributes. We made it back to our stop where Jenny was sitting in the car unaware of the fury that was headed her way. I think she knew that life was about to get miserable because of the way I was carrying Gigi. She decided not to go home rather we drove around until our little angel fell asleep. She crashed at 5 PM woke up at 8 PM and then didn't fall asleep again until midnight or slightly later I don't really know. Me so tired. So after this experience I started thinking about what the world would be like if we all acted like toddlers. I can tell you this much, there would be a lot less stuff to do because we wouldn't be organized, everybody would just do their own stuff. Also it would be difficult to populate the earth since I am just assuming that most children don't think about making more children. I think the world would be a lot like that Career Builder commercial, you know the one where the guy works with a bunch of monkeys. That's how it would be except there wouldn't be a normal guy in the midst of the monkeys it would just be another monkey. I don't really have point to this mostly I just wanted to tell the ridiculous story of Gigi's first Ute basketball game and train ride. She will still say to me, "Remember we went on the train yesterday and I was freaking out?"

 

Also I would like to mention the Super Bowl is set and it should be a good one. I will be cheering for the Giants since I don't really like the Patriots or teams get the dynasty designation. Well from both the AFC and NFC championships we learned a lot about football. First you never want your kicker sprinting onto the field to kick the game tying field. Second the new adage I heard this past College football season was, "Offense sells seats, Defense wins games and Special Teams win championship." This adage applies to both the AFC and NFC losers. The Harbraugh brothers need better special team players. I would just like to say one thing, in order to win a game you have to play as a team but to lose a game a single player can be the difference.

 

Trivia Time: What is the best thing to do on a dreary day?

 

Quote of the Week:  "You were a banger. Did you ever consider wearing protection?" – Craig Bolerjack  (talking to Matt Harpring while commentating on Live TV)

 

Have a good week I know I will

Eric Jones

www.oprahismymom.blogspot.com

No comments: