6.01.2010

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 5.20 (A day late...a day worse)

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 5.20

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

 

Before me there were people that did so many great things. These people went to great lengths to ensure that I had the best possible life I could have. For their sacrifice I am grateful. Countless people have dedicated their lives to protecting the liberties and freedoms I enjoy. I have had the privilege of knowing only a handful of these people. With days dedicated to remembering those that have lived before us it is always important to reflect about how those people that have come before us have changed the world. For instance this past weekend Jenny, Gigi and I went to Salina (aka Utah's Scone Capital) to visit with her Grandpa and Grandma. It is a nice place to think about how life used to be in Utah. I often found myself thinking to myself that the settlers of Utah have done so much to ensure that I had everything I needed in order to live. My favorite thought of the weekend came when I was using the restroom. In the basement of their house the ceilings are low (because people used to be shorter) and there is little room to hide things in the ceiling like they do now. So as I stood there using the toilet I was looking up at the ceiling, namely because had just hit my arms on the ceiling as I took off my shirt. I noticed that the upstairs bathroom is directly above the downstairs bathroom (This is a common practice). I knew this because the piping was sticking out the ceiling directly above my head. I read the side of the pipe and giggled because I thought, "Where would be without this neat invention." The flushing toilet was invented by John Harrington and that is a pretty cool invention but the invention I was looking at was by a man named Thomas Crapper. He invented the U-pipe that attaches to the toilet. What this pipe does is it ensures that the stink doesn't come back into the house. It also helps with blockages and pressure issues. It is a pretty cool little thing that you use everyday but probably don't realize it or care. So the next time you remember those that have made your life better you should thank Thomas Crapper, otherwise your life would stink, literally.

 

Trivia Time: In this ever changing world what is the best way to deal with being tired?

 

Guess the Injury: I didn't get hurt last week. I will try harder next week to do some damage to my person.

 

I am pretty sure that Jenny gets annoyed with how I independent I try to be. I am always trying to do more than what I can. I guess that is why I get hurt all of the time. But what I do is always ask myself the question, "Can I really rely on another person?" The answer is almost always, no. For instance, Jenny and I recently purchased a new camera, well we put down payment on a new camera and have been waiting for over two weeks now for that camera. Jenny I have called daily, and sometimes more than daily asking the same question, "Where is our camera?" The same answer is returned every time, "We don't know, we thought it would have been here a week ago but it is not." Anyway, I tell you this not to inform you of a business you should avoid rather I tell you this because I have always had a small inkling to move into the mountains and not rely on anybody for my well being. You know kind of like Thoreau but I would pick a spot that nobody would come to because, I am tired of idiots. Everywhere I go I run into morons. You know people that you stand back scratch your head and say, "How did this being make it to adulthood?" If some of these beings were a cat or a giraffe or a two-toed sloth they would have been eaten, killed or exiled long before they could have annoyed anybody. Nature just has it ways of weeding these beings out and making life better for the others. Maybe someday when I am charge I will be able to make rules about idiots. Oh wait all of the laws we have now are because of idiots. I guess we will have develop more stringent laws to control our idiots. I would just like to tell you that if everybody (Including me) was a little selfish then this world would be better. So be a Boy Scout and "Do a good turn daily" or go camping away from everybody else.

 

Have a good week I know I will

Eric Jones

www.oprahismymom.blogspot.com

No comments: