6.07.2010

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 5.21 (USA all the way baby)

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 5.21

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

 

There are only two things on my mind this week. Gigi and the World Cup. Since I often talk about Gigi I will talk about the World Cup. I am American and therefore I cheer for the USA soccer team. This Friday the World Cup kicks off in South Africa, the first time the World Cup has been played in Africa. Soccer, the most popular sport in the world, is played by millions and watched by billions (during the World Cup *Numbers are just estimates). The USA plays it first game this Saturday at 12:30 MST. The game is on ABC so if you are not glued to your TVs I guess I would have to call you un-American. There are several sports I don't like, Figuring skating, Gymnastics, and the list goes on and on but when there is an American team or person out there fighting for the pride of this great country, and the event is on TV, I have to tune in. I know that there are not a lot of Soccer fans in the US of A but if we use the power of the "secret" aka the power of positive thinking then the US will be able to pull of something spectacular. There are two things I love about this year's World Cup. The USA should advance out of group play and since the games are in South Africa I will be at work during some of the games. It turns out that there is a TV in our break room that has cable. So on June 23rd when the USA plays Algeria I will be in the break room in my USA jersey cheering for the boys in blue or red or white, depending on the uniform color. Just thinking about the games I am starting to get excited. I have feeling that the USA will do very well in this year's World Cup I predict that they will make it to the Semi-finals this year. There is one issue if they take second in group play they will more than likely play those cheating Germans in the first round. They lost to Germany in 2002 on a missed handball call. I say if the USA plays Germany then Germany has to tape their arms down. For those of you not in the know, this is a crazy prediction but something will happen that will allow them to pull it off. I think it will be a wizard or a dragon or one of those Greek Gods that will be the deciding factor. I am also guessing that Spain will come out victorious but if the USA doesn't win then I want somebody like the Ivory Coast or South Korea to win. Why the hell not. As PJ says, "It could happen."

 

Trivia Time: Thank you for your advice on how to overcome being tired. This week's question is if it looks like something smells like something it probably is that something. So the question is why does Gigi want to play that something? (Name that something)

 

Guess the Injury: Now that I started this I haven't been injured. This is an injury from a month ago. Two symmetrical scrapes on my right palm. Initially they were really sticky but after a good washing the stickiness turned to not that sticky.

 

In a final note the University of Utah Rugby team played in the inaugural 7 on 7 national collegiate invitational championship yesterday against Cal-Berkley and they won. You can read about this clash of liberals if you like. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/utah-utes-win-inaugural-usa-7s-rugby-collegiate-championship-invitational-on-nbc-95741209.html

 

Have a good week I know I will

Eric Jones

www.oprahismymom.blogspot.com

 

No comments: