9.27.2010

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 5.34

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 5.34
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then open it and remove all doubt
-Mark Twain

You know a year ago I was a couple weeks into graduate school, complete with pipe Birkenstock sandals and wool socks, and Sundays were the only day that I didn't do anything school related besides think about school and how not cool it is. Yesterday there were two experiences that taught me the importance of learning and how fun and frustrating the whole process is. I was sitting next to my nephew (Ashton, 6) and was watching as he played a game where you have to read a card then find another card that corresponds to the card that you read. You know kind of like the match game but you get to look at all of the cards because the game is to help you learn. Anywho, Ashton would read the card then find the card with the number of items on it, I thought to myself he is a learning machine right now and has limitless potential to the things he can and will learn in his life. The other story is I was downstairs at my in-laws house yesterday trying to watch football but Hanity was being recorded (I don't want to discuss which program is more valuable to watch), and the kids were playing. My niece was showing me her silly bands, you know the hip thing that kids are playing with now if you don't know just google it, and I was impressed by her excitement for these rubber bands. Then she told me that one day nobody was wearing these bands then the next day everybody was wearing them. She said that is weird how that happens sometimes things aren't popular then they are. So I told that the story is the same with chocolate. One day nobody was eating it then the next day everybody was. She told me that is crazy how that works. I told her that she learned something new and learning is crazy. Ok so she learned a lie because nobody really knows how chocolate became popular all I know is that eating a coco bean right from the tree is not a good idea. But eating sugar cane right from the stalk is one of the best ideas you can ever have. What am I talking about? Oh yeah learning, if you don't learn something new every day then you aren't trying. There is only one person that knows everything there is to know about this world that is why I write this letter every week to inform the public.

Trivia Time: The answer is only you can prevent forest fires. This week's question is what is your favorite TV show and why? (There are no wrong answers on this week's question just dumb ones)

So last week I was talking to a fellow worker here at the State building and she asked me what I thought was very odd question, "Has Gigi tried to climb out of her crib yet?" I told her no but she is my daughter so she will probably do it anytime now because sometimes parents are slow and you can probably climb out faster. So a day later I was out working in the yard and Jenny was inside doing stuff (I think she was googling spiders or something) when we heard a thud. I thought it was one of the dogs jumping off the couch but then Jenny burst outside and said, "Gigi just climbed out of her crib and fell. I think her shoulder is dislocated." I thought, "Oh man one of us is going to jail today for child abuse." Because she has had a dislocated elbow (twice), she fell off her changing table and now she has a dislocated shoulder. I was getting my story straight which was, "I was out at the store buying stuff when Jenny called me to say that some stranger had dislocated our daughter's shoulder." That was a pretty good story I thought. Come to find out it was not dislocated at all. So to prevent her from climbing out of her crib every night we have lowered the mattress and now put butter on the bars. This has a twofold effect, the bars are slippery and if she licks the bars then she will get to heavy to be able to lift herself out of the crib. Problem solved.

Have a good week I know I will
Eric Jones

No comments: