11.01.2010

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 5.39 (Birthdays = hurt feelings)

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 5.39
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then open it and remove all doubt
-Mark Twain

Starting off any sentence or thought with the phrase, "Oh man I became one of those guys," is never good. Throughout the years of my TV watching, sitcoms have taught me one thing which is the man the relationship is always an idiot when it comes to special occasions. Let me take a side step and say it was my wife's birthday and in the past I feel like I have usually hit a homerun on her birthday. However this year she told me that what she really likes for her birthday is to be surprised. So I thought ok that should be easy enough because we all know the best kind of prize is a surprise. What somebody didn't tell is when you try and surprise somebody you can't make it a lame surprise. I thought her birthday was a long way off and I already have her presents so I am good to go. Oh man was I wrong. It was like an episode of Home Improvement you know when Jill would be like, "Tim you forgot (insert occasion e.g. birthday or anniversary or hair cut day [this is big in Japan]) you idiot." I would always say to myself, "When I grow up I am not going to be a Tim the tool man Taylor and I am going to make every occasion special, even hair cut day." Well it turns out that it didn't take long for me to turn into a tool man. I am sure if you asked Jenny she would say that she enjoyed the day of her birth that was celebrated on the 29th, 30th and 31st. What is that all about? I guess when your birthday is on a weekend, that is also the weekend of a holiday, then you get a full weekend of partying down. Let me just adapt a line from the 90's classic Home Alone and say, "When that date comes back, I'll be ready." Next October 30th there is going to be a laser show, some smoke machines, loud music and high school band playing her favorite song (Theme song to Gem). So happy birthday Jenny, what better present can you get then several Facebook birthday wishes and an entire paragraph of a crappy newsletter dedicated to you, talking about how crappy your main squeeze made your birthday. One last note I haven't mentioned is that we watched Furry Vengeance on Saturday night (Worst movie of the decade).

Trivia Time: Flagstaff is a few degrees cooler than Sedona. This week's question is wouldn't life be better if the Jazz played well all of the time?

Well this is it people it is the week of elections. Tomorrow we all (if you are over 18) go into the voting box and make our selections. Unless you are like me and did early voting via the mail (Nothing sweeter than completing your civic duty in your underpants). It is a fun year to vote there is a special gubernatorial election this year and you should be voting for State house and senate representatives. In my district I was privileged to vote for a former NBA basketball player. Who promised to stand tall to irresponsible government spending and block non-funded mandates for local communities and rebound this economy. Sadly apart from being tall I don't think Shawn Bradley would ever be able to block or rebound anything political much like his NBA career. Besides the guy he is running against (Tim Cosgrove) is good people that stands for what I believe my community should be. Enough of that I only discussed that because I know that nobody besides me will vote on that race. I guess if you really wanted to you could vote for one of the independent parties. To those people I say, "Good for you." I don't know if you read the voter information that is provided to you by the Lt. Governor but there isn't that great of information. All I know is that if you do not vote for Superdell Schanze you will be banished to eternal damnation. Now he is not on the ballot this year so you have to write in his name. I tell you what in most aspects of my life I am not clear of eternal damnation but in this aspect I will be given a gold star. Go get 'em Superdell, all the way to the capital (By the way I was being sarcastic). Go vote do your duty if you want to I will be having a voting party at my house Tuesday night but if you didn't vote don't even think about coming in because if you don't have a sticker then you can't get in.

Have a good week I know I will
Eric Jones


--
This message was approved by Eric Jones

No comments: