1.03.2011

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 5.48

                     Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 5.48
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then open it and remove all doubt
-Mark Twain

So since Christmas Jenny as been very busy doing important stuff, one such thing she has been doing is finding ways to keep little Miss Gigi entertained. This is so Jenny can do other stuff like surf the web and junk. Anywho, I say this because Jenny in her attempts to entertain our daughter (Jenny is very good at this by the way) she uploaded a collection of children's stories onto our computer. Gigi loves the stories and so one day I thought it would be fun to sit down and read a story with her. That was a huge mistake. The story was the "Three Little Pigs" which I have always thought it was a good story that teaches people they need to be prepared for events (wolf) that might come along and disrupt their lives (blow their house down). So the story teaches kids if you can prepare yourself and build a stable structure/foundation through hard work then you will be ready to face the world. For instance we could use education as the qualifier. There are many levels of education one can obtain in this life but it is important that you work hard and learn as much as you can in order to have a sure foundation. Like the pig that builds the house of brick, a well prepared pig that was ready for calamity to come (wolf), would be the shining example of hard work and preparedness. Now let me tell you where my beef is. They changed the story to fit into our society today. At the end of the story instead of the wolf getting mad about not being able to blow down the house he climbs up the chimney and into the house. There he finds the pig enjoying a nice meal of vegetables and fruits. The pig then instructs the wolf on how to eat a nice healthy meal that doesn't involve eating a pig. Then the wolf helped rebuild the houses he blew over and everybody lived in peace and happiness the story says. This angered me. What did I learn from this story? Nothing. The whole point of the story is to teach kids that hard work and effort pay off in the end and they need to be prepared for life's crap that will more than likely be dumped on them. I think that the story points to what our society has become (a co-worker said this to me one day and I liked it) a Tee-Ball society where everybody is good and we all should cheer for mediocrity. You know I am all for helping out my neighbor and those that stand in need of help but I am not for a society that teaches kids they can avoid hard work. Next they are probably going to change the Hansel and Gretel story to say that Hansel and Gretel ate candy all day long then went home to their own beds with no repercussions whatsoever. The only way to make this place better is to make the children better but with so many "shining" examples, how is this place going to get any better? I guess I am just trying to say that at some point somebody has to work and it would be easier if everybody just worked a little bit rather than one person doing all of the work for everybody. Just ask Jenny about how tiring that can be.

Trivia Time: What is the proper way to make toast?

Well I thought that at the turn of this New Year I was not going to make a New Year's resolution but alas I have come across one that is just too good. I resolve on this the third day of the year two thousand and eleven that by the three-hundredth and sixty-fifth day of this same year I will be able to do at least one sit-up like Rocky does in Rocky IV. You know the sit-up he is doing where he is on the bench with his legs in the air. If you don't know what that is then you can watch this video and go to the time stamp 4:40. "No pain." I am pretty sure that I am going to accomplish this goal. I have a picture of Rocky doing these sit-ups in front of my desk so I will be ready. Ok I don't have a picture of it but I have the joke to keep me going. I am already tired just thinking about it.

Have a good week I know I will
Eric Jones

--
This message was approved by Eric Jones

No comments: