5.02.2011

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 6.11 (All signs point to Danger)

                     Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 6.11
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then open it and remove all doubt
-Mark Twain

So, today as I sit here I realized another issue that really bothers me about the Jazz not making the playoffs. If they had made it I would be writing my assessment of how the team performed in their opening round slaughter. This could have been either them slaughtering the team or more likely, them getting slaughtered by some team. I bet you the Spurs are kicking themselves now because had they lost 2 of the games to the Jazz during the regular season it would have given them enough confidence to be the 8th seed in the West and the Spurs would have still been the 1st seed. Even with the boosted confidence the Jazz would have been unable to beat the Spurs in a 7 game series. Anyway, so instead of writing about the Jazz and their semi-suckessful season I will be writing about something entirely different, but better I think. On May, 21 I will be boarding an airplane and after reaching a certain height (13,000 feet) I will be leaving that airplane. My Grandmother who recently turned a specified age (still young in my book) has decided that she would like to jump out of a plane, with a parachute, I too will being do it with a parachute. We were at dinner and she was commenting on how she is going to do it so I thought it would be fun to do. Also I thought that it was just Grandma being Grandma. But a few days later I got a phone call that said, “I am registering to go skydiving so I need to know if you are serious about this.” I told her I am. What better way to spend your Saturday morning than jumping out of airplane with your Grandmother? There is risk involved in this adventure and here are the statistics I found on the internet. In 2010 there were 56 deaths while skydiving, 23 occurring in North America and 22 of those in U.S. Since 2004 33% of the deaths have occurred while landing. So what does this tell me? Don’t land, don’t run into other people (Collision either canopy or in air is the second most) and don’t jump with an idiot that didn’t pack their parachute right. Other than that it seems like it will be a piece of cake. I figure if birds can do it, why can’t I? Also an interesting fact check shows that over 30,000 people died in car accidents (in the USA) last year. I understand that way more people drive than skydive but I like those odds. The last death in Utah while skydiving was in 2001, it was a plane malfunction over the Great Salt Lake. I am excited and a little nervous about the experience but hey if Danny Sorensen can do it and birds so can I. Also if any of you want to start pooling money together just in case, just set aside a few dollars here and there until the 21st to give to Jenny, just in case.

Trivia Time: Do you think me being bumped by the guy next to me at the RSL game affected the outcome of the game?

On another subject, it was Gigi’s second birthday this past week and she is such a little stinker face. It was amazing to see how excited a two year old got about her birthday party. From the moment she woke up she was dancing around singing happy birthday to herself. Jenny decided to throw a party with a rainbow theme. She did a wonderful job and everything went according to plan except for the table cloth. Gigi loved every minute of her party except when people were playing with her new toys. You would think that with a dad that just wants to play with her toys all of the time she would be good at sharing but she is not. Thanks to all that came to her birthday she had a wonderful time. She uses all of her gifts well almost all of her gifts the work gloves that the Godfather gave her don’t really fit her yet so I will be using those. Other than that she has used all the gifts at least once. I am so happy that she is who she is, a very stubborn little girl that knows what she likes and does what she likes. Hopefully she will like to be kind to all of her cousins in the future.

Have a good week I know I will
Eric Jones

No comments: