11.07.2011

Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 6.31 (Sometimes it is best to start fresh)

                     Ravings of a Mad Man: vol. 6.31

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

 

Well we are now well into this thing they are calling a lockout. I have to say that as a Utah Jazz fan I am happy that this lockout is occurring. I will dissect the pros and cons later but for now let's just say that the NBA once a great league has, in the past ten years (during the last collective bargaining agreement), deteriorated into a multi-billion dollar enterprise of street basketball. It used to be that were just a couple of teams that played the, what I call the spread offense in basketball. This offense involves a lot of one or no pass possessions. The man with the ball spreads the other players out and he/she takes on their defender one-on-one. Oh the horror of this style of basketball. If I wanted to watch this I would just go from LDS meeting to LDS meeting and watch pick-up games every night, for free. Jerry Sloan and a few other coaches were still requiring their players to run plays and pass the ball, as the game is supposed to be played. The whole point of sports to not only outperform your opponent but it is to out whit them. It is like a game of chess, well I don't know how to play chess so it is like a game of checkers and you get your opponent to take the only option they have and that is when you get kinged. Or it is like a game of Ticket to Ride, you take more trip cards to get your opponent sweating and that is when they make mistakes. When thinking about this I am reminded of several mediocre Jazz players that have been passed through the Jazz system like a bad burrito and what they say after their attitude or lack of abilities gets them traded or released from the comfort of Jerry Sloan's hands. They have all said something along these lines, "Basketball is meant to fun and it can be when you are free to do what you want on the court." None the Jazz players in this category have had much success in the NBA post Jazz. Well I guess Deshawn Stevenson who left the Jazz for greener pastures did start for the Championship Mavericks last season. Boy does that really make you upset when you see somebody like Deshawn win something when he really didn't have much to do with their success. The point is when you play basketball in a beautiful system like J-Slo's then even I might look good in the NBA as long as I worked hard and completed my assignments. Okay now for the pros and cons of the NBA lockout.

 

I will start with the cons since there are few cons.

The people that rely on the NBA for income (this of course is excluding the owners and players) will not have this revenue generator like they have in years past. Half of my winter attire can't be worn because I don't wear Jazz apparel if they are not playing. Lucky for me I found one of the greatest sweaters at the DI a month or so ago. The sweater is the Utah state flag but then it also has what I think is Mt Olympus from a weird angle and it says, "Wasatch Mountains." The Wasatch Range is my favorite.

 

Here are my pros.

Every agreement that has been reached will only help the Jazz stay competitive in this league. I don't have to watch the Jazz lose over 40 games this year because if there is a season there will probably only be 50 to 60 games. I don't have to go anywhere to watch a Jazz game (not having cable has its perks, like not paying for cable and doing other stuff but let's face it as a sports fan you need cable). If I need to call my Grandma I don't have to look to see if the Jazz are playing prior to calling. If I needed to I am sure I could book the ESA for real cheap because they are desperate to fill the venue (I mean how many times can you put Disney on Ice on before people get tired of skating Disney characters, I haven't been once and I can tell you that I am already way tired of it).

 

Trivia Time: Who is the all time funniest Utah Jazz player?

 

Laser Tag Christmas has been tentatively scheduled for December 16 at 7:00 PM. Come one, come all. Put it on your calendars.

 

Have a good week I know I will

Eric Jones

www.oprahismymom.blogspot.com


--
This message was approved by Eric Jones

No comments: